A report about road traffic casualties amongst young people, that is people aged between 16 and 24 inclusive for 2016.
- 2016 saw the lowest number of young people killed or seriously injured (KSI) on Welsh roads.
- There were 239 young person KSI casualties in 2016, a reduction of 39.6% compared with the 2004-08 average. The Welsh Government target is a 40% reduction by 2020.
- 2016 was the first year since 2012 which saw a fall in young person KSI casualties.
- In 2016 young people aged 16 to 24 represented 12% of the population of Wales but accounted for 22% of KSI road casualties.
- Young men were involved in more than twice as many accidents as young women.
- During the working week, young people were most likely to be involved in accidents during rush hour.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 6415
Tel: 0300 025 8099