Leighton Andrews, Minister for Education and Skills
On 12 July 2011, the First Minister made a statement on the Legislative Programme for the Welsh Government. In that statement he announced that there would be an Education Bill in 2012.
Today [10 October 2011] I am issuing a White Paper to seek views on proposals for a School Standards and Organisation (Wales) Bill. I am proposing that the Bill includes provisions for the following areas:
- Intervention for schools causing concern;
- School Improvement Guidance;
- School organisation;
- Welsh in Education Strategic Plans;
- Annual Parents Meetings;
- Post 16 Learners with Special Educational Needs (SEN) in schools;
- Free school breakfasts;
- School based counselling;
- Flexible charging for school meals.
These are important changes and part of the package of reforms I intend to bring forward for education over the course of this Welsh Government term.
The consultation will end on 05 January 2012 and I will be considering responses in determining the final shape of the legislation. I expect to introduce the Bill to the National Assembly for Wales in spring 2012.