Skip to main content

When and how to complain to the Welsh Revenue Authority (WRA), and what will happen next.

WRA process for making a complaint

We are committed to delivering excellent customer service. We value your views and aim to make continuous improvements to our services based on the information and feedback we receive.

We are a new organisation and will aim to learn from any mistakes we have made. If there have been lessons learned as a result of your complaint we will let you know.

If you have a complaint, the easiest way to resolve it is it speak directly with the WRA staff member you have been dealing with. That person will try to resolve it for you promptly.

When to use this procedure

Contact us as soon as possible if you are unhappy with the service you receive, for example:

  • mistakes
  • failing to meet comply with our Welsh Language Standards
  • how we have treated you
  • misconduct by WRA staff

We will look at your complaint and try to put things right as quickly as possible.

There is a different process if you disagree with a tax decision or a penalty that you have been asked to pay, or if you have a complaint about the Welsh Government or its ministers.

If your complaint relates to a Freedom of Information request and you are seeking a review, you should contact the WRA Information Officer.

How to complain

Use the online form to make a complaint. You can also contact us to complain by phone or post.

Welsh Revenue Authority

PO Box 110
CF37 9EH

Telephone: 03000 254 000

Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.

We currently have limited access to our post, so there may be some delay in processing any request you send us by post.

To avoid this delay, we recommend using our online services. Contact us if you're unable to do so.

To send us any correspondence, including serving legal proceedings or any other legal documents, if you can, please use our online contact form.

You can ask someone else to complain for you. This could be a relative, friend or professional advisor. You will need to authorise someone to deal with WRA on your behalf before they can make a complaint for you.

How we use your information

See our privacy policy for how we use the information you provide.

What happens when you complain to WRA

WRA won’t treat you any differently if you have made a complaint. We will deal with your matter fairly and impartially. 

When you complain WRA will:

  • acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days of receipt
  • give you the name and contact details of the person who is dealing with your complaint. 
  • provide you with advice about the process and how your complaint will be handled. 
  • handle your complaint confidentially and investigate issues thoroughly
  • keep you informed about the progress of your complaint 
  • respond within 20 working days of the complaint being received. If the WRA cannot give you a full response because your complaint is complicated or raises concerns which may need more detailed consideration, we may need to extend this timeline but we will keep you updated with progress

Normally, the WRA will only be able to look at a complaint if you tell us about it, within a 6 month timescale. This is because it is better to look into a complaint while the issues are still fresh. The WRA may, however, be prepared to consider a complaint made outside of that time limit if we consider that, in the particular circumstances of the complaint that there is good reason why the normal time limit should not apply. The WRA will however not consider any complaints about matters that took place more than 3 years before you raised the issue.


We will let you know the outcome and explain why we have reached our conclusion.

If we’ve made a mistake we will explain what happened and put things right as quickly as we can. 

If we identify ways we can improve the way we do things during our investigation we will tell you what it is and how we plan to make changes to improve how we do things in the future.

If the WRA failed to provide you with a service which you reasonably expected or did not perform as well as you expected, we will rectify matters. If your complaint is upheld then we will aim to put you back in the position you would have been in before you made the complaint.

If we got it wrong, we will always apologise.

How to take your complaint further

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your review you can ask The Ombudsman to look into your complaint. They will only look at a complaint once the WRA have tried to put it right for you. The Ombudsman is independent of all government bodies and can look into your complaint, if you believe that you personally, or the person on whose behalf you are complaining:

  • have or has been treated unfairly or received a bad service through some failure on the part of the body providing it
  • have or has been disadvantaged personally by a service failure or by way of unfair treatment. 

The contact details for the Ombudsman are:

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
1 Ffordd yr Hen Gae
CF35 5LJ

0300 790 0203

Managing your tax affairs during a complaint

You should continue to pay any tax that is due while WRA or the Ombudsman are dealing with your complaint.