This survey provides accurate information on the current and future Welsh language skills needs of employers in Wales across eight sectors.
This is the latest release
- Just over a third of employers in the eight sectors covered in the research regarded having staff with Welsh language skills at their establishment as very (18 per cent) or fairly important (17 per cent). This was higher among employers in Childcare, Agrifood and Social Care. In contrast around two-fifths (39 per cent) felt it not at all important to have staff with Welsh language skills at their site.
- Just under a third of all private sector employers felt that the Welsh language skills of their staff have some benefit to their bottom line, though relatively few (five per cent) considered it to have a very significant impact in this regard.
- Two-thirds of employers (66 per cent) had any staff with Welsh language skills, and just over a third said that Welsh is used in their workplace (35 per cent).
- Employers estimated that almost a quarter of all staff had some level of Welsh language skills, and 14 per cent of all staff used Welsh at work. The latter was higher in Childcare, Creative and Agrifood (59, 39 and 25 per cent respectively).
- Over a quarter of establishments (28 per cent) believed that it would benefit them to have more staff able to communicate in Welsh, or more staff with a higher level of Welsh language skills.
- Over the past 12 months, four per cent of establishments had funded or arranged training specifically designed to develop Welsh language skills.
- Four per cent of employers had sought information, advice or support on issues regarding Welsh language in the workplace in the last 2-3 years. More than two-fifths (45 per cent) of those that had not would not know where to go for this.
- Seven per cent of establishments expected their need for Welsh language skills to increase in the next 2-3 years. This was higher among Childcare, Social care, Creative and Hospitality employers (28, 15, 12 and 10 per cent respectively).
Tel: 0300 025 3811
Tel: 0300 025 8099