Skip to content

Statutory Orders

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on roads and driving at

Related Links

Acts or Assembly Measures enable Welsh Ministers to make more detailed legislation by means of Statutory Instruments.
Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.

Statutory orders are used by Welsh Ministers to gain the legal authority required for improving and maintaining the trunk road and motorway network in Wales and for permanently closing highways for local development.

There are a variety of situations where orders are necessary:

  • for trunk road and motorway schemes
  • to restrict or prohibit traffic on trunk roads and motorways for safety reasons
  • to permanently close highways to enable local development in accordance with planning permission (as part of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990).

Trunk road and motorway schemes

When we are improving or building a new trunk road or motorway there are a variety of statutory orders we must produce:

  • line orders – to establish the route of a new road
  • side roads orders - these deal with local highway issues (including roads, footpaths, bridleways, byways and cycleways) and private access issues, and can include:
    • closure
    • diversion
    • improvement
    • new provision required.
  • Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPOs) – these are required to secure the land needed to carry out these schemes.

These orders are provided in draft first, and the draft orders are open to objection. If there are any unresolved objections then there may be a public inquiry. Read the “Public inquiries into road proposals – What you need to know” guidance for more information on public inquiries and objecting to draft orders. The booklet can be obtained in hard copy by ringing us on 0845 010 3300 and asking for Transport Wales Orders Branch.

Traffic Regulation orders

Traffic Regulation orders either restrict or prohibit traffic on trunk roads for safety reasons. They are produced under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

Temporary orders are usually connected with maintenance or repair works and construction works.

Permanent orders are used to regulate speed, prohibit parking and restrict traffic movements on a permanent basis. These orders are published in draft and are open to objection.

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 orders

There orders are known as “Stopping Up” Orders and are needed to permanently close local highways to enable development to go ahead. The local authority or developer must normally apply for an Order as part of planning permission. This includes developments ranging from simple garden extensions to major infrastructure or retail developments. These orders are also published in draft and open to objection.

You can download the application forms and guidance notes here.

Published orders of all three types can be found in the Legislation section.

Document Download

PDF Document (MFS)
Guidance for applicants (File size: 160KB)
MS Word (MFS)
Application form 247 (File size: 229KB)
MS Word (MFS)
Application form 248 (File size: 229KB)
MS Word (MFS)
Application form 249 (File size: 229KB)