Skip to content

Compensation claims for loss of property value

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on roads and driving at

Related Links

Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.

Under Part 1 of the Land Compensation Act 1973, homeowners may claim compensation if their property has reduced in value by more than £50 due to physical factors caused by the use of a new or altered road.

How to claim

If you were the owner of the property on the date that the road opened to public traffic, and still own and live in the property, you may make a claim on the claim date, which is one year later.  If you rent out the property you will need to provide a tenancy agreement covering the date you make the claim.

Proof of occupancy over the claim date will be required whether you are the owner or a tenant.

You can make a claim yourself or ask someone to do this for you. Anyone can act for you but most people prefer to appoint a valuation agent to deal with their claim. Agents usually letter drop in advance at properties within the area of the road scheme. You may wish to find an agent listed under  "Estate agent and/or land surveyors" in your local directory.

If you wish to make a claim yourself, contact us to request a form. You should keep a copy of your completed form and request proof of posting as we may need this if your form does not reach us and we need to check that a claim was made. It is important that all the information asked for on the  form is provided.

Frequently asked questions

What are the physical factors?

The physical factors are: noise, vibration, smell, fumes, smoke and artificial lighting and the discharge on to the property of any solid or liquid substances.

What if I have already received compensation for land take?

You cannot claim under Part 1 of the Land Compensation Act 1973 if you have already received or are about to receive compensation for land take affecting the property.

Can I claim compensation for the loss of a view to my property?

Loss of view, personal inconvenience and physical factors arising during the construction of the road are not included under Part 1 compensation.

Do you pay agent’s fees?

We will pay agent’s fees according to our agreed method of calculating valuation expenses. This calculation takes into account the activities agents tell us they carry out when negotiating claims.

We recognise that we cannot prevent agents seeking additional fees from their clients, however this is a private matter that does not concern the Welsh Government.

How to contact us?

Our contact details are as follows:

Part 1 Claims and Noise Team
Welsh Government
Land and Compensation branch
Cathays Park
CF10 3NQ.

Telephone: 0300 025 6475 / 0300 025 3450