Skip to content

Community asset transfer resources

Illustration shows a commercial building on it’s own with four plants under a window.
There are a variety of organisations that provide advice and support to community or voluntary groups.

The first port of call should be your local authority. Many have bespoke policies and established processes for the transfer of community assets.

They can provide expert advice and possibly funding to support the transfer of sport and leisure facilities to community organisations.

Websites are listed of partners and stakeholders who could be a useful source of reference for specific information about the various stages of the asset transfer stages.

This includes:

  • business planning
  • needs analysis
  • TUPE Transfer (TUPE stands for the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 1981.)
  • relevant legal considerations relating to, for example, land leases.

Wales Co-operative Centre (external link) offers help and advice to existing and new co-operatives, social enterprises, community businesses, community enterprises, social firms, community land trusts and mutual. They have experts who can advise on business planning, legal structures, personnel, finance and marketing. The Wales Co-operative Centre also provides support through training, mentoring, master classes and networking.

Business Wales (external link) provides information on starting, running and developing a business including how to prepare a business plan and can provide skills support and advice on finance matters.

Development Trusts Association Wales (external link) is the national body for community based regeneration work. It has produced a very useful guide to asset development for community and social enterprises called ‘To have and to hold’ (external link). The guide provides advice on a wide range of issues from planning and implementing a process of community involvement to securing finance and handling legal issues. They have also produced a ‘Guide to asset transfer’.

My Community Rights (external link) is a specific source of advice for community asset transfers, offering guidance on identifying an asset, developing a business case and identifying professional help. Their website includes a section on ‘Case Studies’ (external link) which might provide a useful template.

English Heritage has produced a useful guide called ‘Pillars of the Community: the transfer of local authority heritage assets’ (external link) which provides specific advice on the transfer of historic buildings, monuments or landscapes to community-based organisations.

The community ownership of sports clubs and facilities is an area that Supporters Direct (external link) is very familiar with and they would be happy to discuss any sports related projects with community groups or organisations. Their guidance ‘community right to bid’ (external link), ‘developing and protecting stadia’ and ‘community shares’ might be particularly useful.

Your local Community Voluntary Council (CVC) (external link) will be able to advise about sources of financial assistance for your local area. CVC's are a network of support organisations across Wales that help people who are inspired to make a positive difference to their communities. They work with charities, voluntary and community groups, social enterprises, trustees and individual volunteers. The aim of CVC's is to provide support, guidance, practical assistance and information to local voluntary sector groups to develop skills, services and activities, ensuring they are represented across a wide range of issues locally, regionally and nationally. Your local CVC will be able to provide you with practical information on asset transfers in your area.