Skip to content

Renting out your property

If you have an empty property and you are considering becoming a landlord, have you considered contacting the Local Authority where your property is situated?

Local Authority Housing Advice Teams can provide assistance in finding a tenant or signpost you to agencies that specialise in the management of private sector tenancies.

Some landlords use letting agents that can be found on the high street, and  normally these are large chain/ private companies. Other landlords may use 'Social Letting Agencies' which are normally operated by local authorities, voluntary organisations or Registered Social Landlords. Both types usually provide tenant finder  and full management services.

Most local authorities are keen to work with private landlords and help them house people in need, and they can offer practical support and incentives for landlords. Local Authorities can advise you on the Local Housing Allowance rates for the area and whether they have incentive schemes in operation along with details of agents operating in that locality.

Rent Smart Wales

From autumn 2015, landlords and agents must become registered and licensed via Rent Smart Wales (external link). 

Rent Smart Wales aims to raise standards in the private rented sector in Wales with the introduction of a new  law requiring the registration and licensing of landlords and agents.