Skip to content

ENABLE – Support for Independent Living

Related Links

Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.

We have made available £4m for 2016/2017 to improve support for disabled and older people wanting to live independently in their own home.

Each year, around £50m is spent on adapting older and disabled people’s homes, helping them to live safely and independently. Often a minor adaptation can prevent the need for hospital admission or allow those who are in hospital to be discharged earlier.

The enhanced simplified system brings together all existing provisions for housing adaptations, irrespective of tenure, e.g. disabled facilities grants and physical adaptation grants. It will improve current arrangements by providing three broad levels of assistance based on people’s needs, while providing greater flexibility and reducing bureaucracy.

The enhanced system of delivering essential housing adaptations such as ramps, handrails, walk-in showers and stair-lifts, was rolled out across Wales from 1 April 2016. Enable – Support for Independent Living will make it quicker and easier for people to get help with adaptations when they need it.

How does the system work

Whether you own or rent your home, the basic arrangements will be the same. There are just three levels of adaptations: small, medium and large. Whilst an individual’s needs may include more than one type, the service provided will ensure the quickest, most effective solution to deliver the adaptations is put in place. 

Further information is available in the information leaflet. 

How to apply

If you are in private rented accommodation or own your own home then you can contact your local authority for help and advice.

If you are a council or housing association tenant you can contact your landlord.

Need help with applying

Council grants officers will be able to answer any questions you may have about the application process or your particular circumstances.

Older people can also get help from a local Care & Repair Agency (external link). We support Care & Repair to provide help to older people who need to adapt their homes. This can include help with filling out application forms, finding a reputable builder and supervising the works.

To find your local agency and for further details on the services provided visit the Care & Repair website, or telephone 0300 111 3333 (calls charged at cheapest rate).

Document Download

Adobe PDF document
How Does the System work (File size: 2.44MB)
Adobe PDF document
Key Facts (File size: 1.22MB)