Skip to content

Onshore petroleum licensing

Related Links

Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.

Applications for any petroleum licence, consent or approval for the Welsh onshore area must be made to Welsh Government from 1 October 2018.

The Wales Act 2017 (external link), section 23, transfers licensing functions under Part 1 of the Petroleum Act 1998 from the Oil and Gas Authority (OGA) (external link) to Welsh Ministers.  

From 1 October 2018 Welsh Ministers will be responsible for decisions on:

  • whether to issue new Petroleum Exploration and Development Licences (PEDL) rounds.
  • whether to issue new Landward Petroleum Exploration Licences and Methane Drainage Licences
  • whether to issue consents in relation to existing PEDL licences.

In England, the licensing functions continue to be carried out by the OGA.

Other regulatory bodies

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) (external link) and the Local Planning Authority (LPA) are responsible for compliance with onshore environmental legislation. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) (external link) regulates the health and safety risks to people. The HSE are responsible for ensuring the appropriate design and construction of a well casing for any oil and gas borehole.

Collection of the licence rental (consideration) will remain the responsibility of the OGA.

Although the position of other regulators will be considered, the decisions remain with Welsh Ministers. Licensees must be aware of and follow all regulatory controls, including the licence model clauses. .

Applying to Welsh Government

Applicants should submit an email with the necessary supporting documentation to:

Document Download

Adobe PDF document
Frequently Asked Questions (File size: 353KB)