Skip to content

Independent schools information and registration

The content of this page is not being updated. Get up to date information on Setting up or changing the status of a school at

Related Links

Tell us if you want any of the documents on this page in an alternative format.
The law requires that independent schools must be registered with the Welsh Government. Guidance on registration is available in our handbook.

Opening a school

We must approve an application to open a school before it admits pupils.

If you would like to apply to open a school you may:

  • apply on-line using our registration form
  • send us an application form.

You should send your application to:

Support for Learners Division
Welsh Government
Cathays Park
Cardiff CF10 3NQ

Tel: 0300 0253265


Information for applicants and schools that are already registered

If you have questions about independent school registration not covered in the handbook please contact

Guidance on handling allegations of abuse against teachers and other Staff

Statutory guidance (external link) for local authorities, schools (including independent schools) and further education institutions sets out the procedures to be followed when handling allegations against teachers and members of staff.