Skip to main content

You may be eligible for a grant if you have built up rental arrears due to COVID-19.

First published:
30 June 2021
Last updated:

How to apply

The scheme is now open for applications. Applications can be made through your local authority.


The Tenancy Hardship Grant now covers arrears up to 31 December 2021, and is also now open to all tenants including social housing tenants not in receipt of housing-related benefits

To apply for a Tenancy Hardship Grant, you must have had financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic that meant that you have not been able to pay your rent. 

You will:

  • be at threat of eviction because of rent arrears built up between 1 March 2020 and 30 December 2021
  • have struggled to pay your rent or built up rent arrears due to COVID-19
  • live in and hold a tenancy for a private or social sector property in Wales
  • not have been getting housing benefit or housing cost payments through Universal Credit when you built up your rent arrears
  • not have been able to fully pay your rent during the period when you went into arrears because of COVID-19.

You will not be able to get a Tenancy Hardship Grant if you have not experienced financial hardship during COVID-19 and deliberately not paid your rent to your landlord or agent.

What you will need to make an application

When you apply you will need to complete an application form and provide evidence to help the local authority to make a decision on whether to award you with a grant.

As an example, you may need to provide:

  • proof of ID (a driving licence or a passport or a birth certificate with household bills that prove your address for the last three months)
  • a copy of your bank statements for at least the past two months (including any saving accounts you have)
  • a copy of your tenancy agreement, or other proof of tenancy
  • evidence and explanation that you have not been able to pay your rent because of COVID-19 – which will include a review of your finances

The local authority might ask you for other information or evidence to help to support your application for grant.  Providing this quickly, will help them to process your application.

After you submit your application

Your details will be checked and you will be contacted about your application. You will be expected to provide information on your income, how you have been affected by the pandemic, and how this has affected your ability to pay your rent.

It is helpful to let your landlord or agent know that you are applying for a grant, as the local authority will also contact your landlord or agent who will be asked to provide a written statement confirming that you are a tenant of theirs and that you are in rent arrears and by how much.

The local authority will then let you know whether your application has been approved or not. You may also be contacted if you need to provide more information.

If your application is approved

If your application is approved your grant will be paid to the landlord or agent on your behalf.

This grant will not need to be paid back.

If your application is not approved

Your application will be refused if you do not meet the eligibility criteria or have not provided the evidence needed to take forward your application.

You could also get help and advice from Shelter Cymru or Citizen’s Advice Cymru.

Making an application

To apply to your local authority, visit their website or contact them by using their email address. Please include 'THG Support Grant' as the subject line of your e-mail. This will help them identify that you are applying for a grant.

Find your local authority if you don’t know what local authority you live in.

Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council

Bridgend County Borough Council

Caerphilly County Borough Council

Cardiff Council

Website: Cardiff Council

Carmarthenshire County Council

Ceredigion County Council

Conwy County Borough Council

Denbighshire County Council

Flintshire County Council

Gwynedd Council

Website: Gwynedd Council

Isle of Anglesey County Council

Merthyr County Borough Council

Monmouthshire County Council

Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council

Newport City Council

Pembrokeshire County Council

Powys County Council

Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council

Swansea City Council

Torfaen County Borough Council

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Wrexham County Borough Council

Getting other help

If you are in rent arrears, you should:

  • speak to your landlord to discuss your arrears and how they can be repaid or
  • get advice and support on your arrears from Shelter Cymru or Citizen’s Advice Cymru.
  • see if you are able to apply for existing support, including a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are in receipt of housing benefit or housing costs of a Universal Credit claim

We would urge you to do this before you apply to the scheme.

If you are being threatened with eviction

A landlord cannot legally make you leave your home without a court order.

If you are at threat of eviction and at risk of homelessness, you should contact your local authority as soon as possible.

Local authorities must help people who could lose their home or are homeless.

They can help you find a home. They work with other support organisations that can help people keep their homes or find a new one.

Find your local authority.


Your landlord will have to provide you with notice before they can evict you. Read the guidance eviction during the coronavirus pandemic

Through the Debt Respite Scheme, you may be able to apply for 60 days ‘breathing space’ from eviction for rent arrears which can help provide you with some time to manage your debts. You should contact Shelter Cymru or Citizen’s Advice Cymru for more information on how to apply for this.