The report presents figures on the student support awarded to applicants and paid to students or their Higher Education Provider for September 2018 to August 2019 (provisional).
Key results for academic year 2017/18 (final)
- 74,000 student support scheme students in Wales were receiving support in 2017/18.
- The final amount of student support awarded in 2017/18 was £951.9m, an increase of 9% on 2016/17.
- A total of £127.9m was awarded in Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG), unchanged from 2016/17.
- 57,400 students were paid Maintenance Loans, which amounted to £274.0m, compared to 57,400 students paid £238.6m in 2016/17.
- Higher education institutions were paid Tuition Fee Loans amounting to £223.6m, on behalf of 57,100 students domiciled in Wales and EU domiciled students studying in Wales.
- £268.0m of Tuition Fee Grant was paid.
- £28.2m of postgraduate loans was paid.
Key results for 2018/19, by the end of December 2018 (provisional)
- Early figures show that, by the end of December 2018, 72,900 students have been paid £297.8m of student support. Compared with the same period in 2017, the total number of students paid increased by 5%.
- The increase in students being paid was mainly due to increases in part-time undergraduate and postgraduate students. The number of part-time undergraduate students from Wales awarded funding increased to 6,100 (up 35%). These students had been paid £7.9m up to the end of December 2018.
- Postgraduate students awarded funding increased to 4,900 (up 58%). Postgraduate students had been paid £16.1m up to the end of December 2018.
- This year marks the start of the awarding of Doctoral Loans. About 100 were awarded Doctoral Loans, amounting to £0.2m by the end of December 2018. Those students have requested payments for 2018/19 of £0.6m in total for the year.
Latest loan take-up rates, for academic year 2016/17
- An estimated 94.9% of eligible students took out a Maintenance Loan.
- An estimated 95.2% of eligible students took out a Tuition Fee Loan.
Tel: 0300 025 9528
Tel: 0300 025 8099