Skip to content
Statistics

Homelessness

Bookmark and Share
  • Release date: 22 March 2018
  • Period covered: October to December 2017
  • Next update: 26 July 2018
Data on the number of households applying to local authorities for housing assistance under the Housing Wales Act 2014 and the number of homeless households in temporary accommodation.

Key points

  • During October to December 2017, a total of 2,049 households were assessed as threatened with homelessness within 56 days.  Homelessness was successfully prevented for at least 6 months for 1,383 households (68 per cent). For a further 294 households (14 per cent) homelessness was unsuccessfully prevented.  Other outcomes accounted for the remaining 18 per cent of households (including refused assistance, non co-operation, withdrawn application and loss of contact). 
  • A total of 2,724 households were assessed as being homeless and owed a duty to help secure accommodation during the quarter. Of these, 1,188 households (44 per cent) were helped to secure accommodation that was likely to last for 6 months. For 939 households (34 per cent) the local authority was unsuccessful in securing such accommodation. Other outcomes accounted for the remaining 22 per cent of households (including refused assistance, non co-operation, withdrawn application and loss of contact).
  • During October to December 2017, 543 households were assessed to be unintentionally homeless and in priority need. These households qualified for the duty to have accommodation secured for them.  For 79 per cent (429 households) an offer of permanent accommodation was accepted. Other outcomes accounted for the remaining 21 per cent of households (including refused assistance, non co-operation, withdrawn application and loss of contact).  

Households in temporary accommodation

  • At the end of December 2017 there were 2,034 households in temporary accommodation. 
  • Private sector accommodation was the main form of temporary accommodation used. This accounted for 38 per cent (771 households) of all households in temporary accommodation at the end of December 2017. 
  • At the end of December 2017 there were 198 households in temporary bed and breakfast (B&B) accommodation.  Of these, 12 households (6 per cent) were families with children.

Notes

All figures are rounded independently to the nearest 3, due to disclosure control.

Data on the provision of bed and breakfast accommodation for 16 to 17 year olds and for 18 to 21 year old care leavers through Homelessness or Social Services legislation has been collected since April 2016 and is published on StatsWales.

The Housing Act (Wales) 2014 included a number of changes to statutory homelessness legislation which were introduced on 27 April 2015.This headline shows quarterly information for October to December 2017 as reported by local authorities under the new legislation. 

Further information

Key results and StatsWales are published quarterly and a report will be published annually.

Contact

Statistician
Tel: 0300 025 5055
Email: stats.housing@gov.wales

Media
Tel: 0300 025 8099

Keep up to date @StatisticsWales@StatisticsWales Sign up to our newsletterSign up to our newsletter
Share