Number of staff in the higher education sector for September 2019 to August 2020.
This is not the latest release in the series: Staff and finance of higher education institutions
- There has been a small drop in the number of staff at Welsh universities from 20,875 in 2018/19 to 20,720 in 2019/20.
- There was a reduction in the number of staff across all institutions with the exceptions of Cardiff University where total staff increased to 6,900 from 6,805 and Cardiff Metropolitan University where staff increased from 1,395 to 1,470. Staff levels at Swansea University remained at a similar level to last year at 3,820.
- Cardiff University employed the most staff (6,900), the next largest was Swansea University (3,820).
- Glyndwr University was the smallest university in terms of staff numbers, employing 465 in 2019/20.
- Just under half of all staff (49.1%) were on academic contracts.
- Just under two thirds of staff were full-time for academic contracts, and just over two thirds for non-academic contracts.
- Of those who weren’t on an academic contract, 4,310 were in professional or technical occupations. 3,695 were in administrative and secretarial occupations and 895 were in ‘elementary occupations’.
- 55.1% of all staff positions were filled by women. However, they held 47.1% of academic roles. Just over two thirds of all part-time staff were female.
- 11.2% of academic staff members reported they were able to teach through Welsh and 51.4% of those were actually doing so.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 062 2587
Telephone: 0300 025 8099