An report including information on the number of housing units that were empty, rented to tenants and tenancies in rent arrears for April 2018 to March 2019.
- There were 4,343 vacant social housing units at 31 March 2019, an increase of 4% on the previous year.
- 1.9% of social housing units were vacant.
- 31% of all vacant social housing units (1,329 units) had been empty for more than 6 months at 31 March 2019.
- There were 21,135 new lettings of social housing stock during 2018-19, an increase of 4% on the previous year. Of these, 61% were from waiting lists, 22% via transfers/exchanges and 18% through priority lettings to the homeless.
- At 31 March 2019, 77,332 (34%) of social housing tenancies were in rent arrears, an increase of 8% on the previous year.
- Around 2% of tenancies had been in rent arrears for 13 weeks or more.
Social housing vacancies, lettings and arrears, April 2018 to March 2019
file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 061 5675
Tel: 0300 025 8099