Data on the number of housing units that were empty, rented to tenants and tenancies in rent arrears for April 2017 to March 2018.
- Following decreases in 2015-16 and 2016-17, the 4,158 vacant social housing units at 31 March 2018 was an increase of 2% on the previous year but continued to represent just 1.8% of all social housing stock.
- A third of all vacant social housing units (1,360 units) had been empty for more than 6 months at 31 March 2018. Less than half of vacant social housing was available for letting.
- The number of new lettings of social housing stock decreased by 9% to 20,564. The majority of these (62%) were via housing waiting lists. A further 22% were via transfers and exchanges and 16% were priority lettings to homeless households.
- At 31 March 2018, there were 71,839 tenancies in arrears, accounting for 32% of all social housing tenancies. This was an increase of 1,387 tenancies (2%) on the 70,452 tenancies in arrears at the end of March 2017.
- Around 2% of tenancies had been in rent arrears for 13 weeks or more.
Social housing vacancies, lettings and arrears, April 2017 to March 2018
file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 5055
Tel: 0300 025 8099