Science and innovation strategy for forestry in Great Britain , file type: PDF, file size: 2 MB
The strategy was published in October 2020. It provides a framework for forestry-related scientific research. It aims to support the management of our forests, woodlands and trees in England, Scotland and Wales.
This framework recognises the key role the sector has in:
- addressing the challenges of reversing the decline in biodiversity, climate change, and
- supporting the green recovery from COVID-19, and science and innovation’s contribution in this
The strategy sets out high level outcomes, themes and areas of research interest. These have been identified by the Welsh, UK and Scottish Governments and forestry stakeholders. This includes research on the following themes:
- sustainable forest management in light of environmental change
- markets for forest products and services
- societal benefits from trees, woods and forests
- resource assessment and sector monitoring
- achieving multiple ecosystem benefits
- woodland creation and expansion
- tree health and biosecurity
Delivery of this research commenced on 1 April 2021 and will run for 5 years.