Save a life Cymru: Touch Someone’s Life
New CPR guidelines for COVID-19 times:
While the COVID-19 virus remains in our communities Resuscitation Council UK and Welsh Ambulance Service Trust have issued new safety CPR instructions.
If you received your CPR training pre COVID-19 here is a list of the small but important changes you should do to keep yourself:
- Do not put your face next to the collapsed person’s face to check for normal breathing
- Shake the person by the shoulders to check for a response
- Look to see if the chest is falling up and down, check whether breathing is abnormal or has stopped completely
- Loosely place a cloth or towel over the mouth and nose of the unconscious person
- Only do chest compressions and defibrillation.
- Do not do mouth to mouth rescue breaths on an adult.
- Always do mouth to mouth rescue breaths on a child under 8 years old. It is likely that you will know the child having a cardiac arrest. While there may be a risk of transmitting COVID-19 virus, it is small compared to the risk of taking no action as this will result in certain cardiac arrest and the death of the child.