Data includes information about the imports and exports to and from Wales that are carried by road.
In 2017 goods lifted by road within Wales, to Wales and from Wales increased by 2 per cent, 25 per cent and 9 per cent respectively compared with 2016 levels.
In 2017, 47 per cent of road freight in Wales travelled within Wales only. This is a fall of 3.3 percentage points since 2016.
- HGVs carried: 45 million tonnes of road freight within Wales; 26 million tonnes to Wales from the rest of the UK; 25 million tonnes from Wales to the rest of the UK.
63 per cent of goods transported by road between Wales and the rest of the UK in 2017 came from or went to the North West, the South West or the West Midlands.
- Of goods transported from Wales to other parts of the UK: 29 per cent went to the West Midlands, 22 per cent to the South West and 13 per cent to the North West. These regions accounted for a total of 64 per cent of goods transported from Wales to the rest of the UK.
- Of goods transported to Wales from other parts of the UK: 23 per cent came from the West Midlands, 18 per cent from the South West and 21 per cent from the North West. These regions accounted for a total of 62 per cent of goods transported to Wales from the rest of the UK.
European Union (EU) destination
50 per cent of Welsh import and export tonnage carried by road from and to the EU was loaded/unloaded in Belgium and Luxembourg or Germany in 2017.
- Both imports and exports carried by road to and from Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany decreased in 2017.
Largest groups of commodities (by weight) carried by HGVs in Wales in 2017
- 22 million tonnes of food products (including beverages and tobacco).
- 11 million tonnes of metal ore and other mining and quarrying (not including coal and lignite).
- 9 million tonnes of waste related products.
- 8 million tonnes of Agricultural products.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 6415
Tel: 0300 025 8099