The Rhigos junction will connect Hirwaun, Rhigos road, A4059, Tower road and the A465.
What we’re doing
- archaeological investigations
- laying temporary road
- moving utilities
- installing culverts
- laying new road
- building bridges
We will raise the road to cross over the new junction and will build a bridge between the roundabouts.
We will re-align the A4061 Rhigos road for the new layout.
We will build a bridge to allow the A465 to pass over the Nant y Bwlch watercourse east of the junction.
We will build a road east of the Rhigos junction to take it away from the existing A465. This will pass south of the Hirwaun welfare ground and re-join the existing A465 at Trewaun.
We will build a temporary road to create space to construct the permanent road.
- cleared vegetation ready for work to start
- carried out archaeological investigation works
- moved existing utilities services away from the building area
- built a new temporary road as shown by the orange lines on the map. This has allowed us to move all A465 traffic onto what was the westbound side of the A465. Traffic will run in both directions.
- summer 2021 to spring 2022: we will build the new eastbound slip road and temporary roundabout (see red lines on the map)
- we will also build culverts (tunnel structures for water drainage), moving utilities and putting up fences.