Estimates of research and development expenditure by businesses in UK countries and English regions for 2018.
This is the latest release in the series: Research and development business enterprise expenditure
- In 2018, business expenditure on R&D (BERD) for Wales was £430 million, up 2.1% on the figure for 2017.
- This represented 1.7% of the UK total.
- The 2.1% increase was the ninth largest increase of all 12 UK countries and English regions.
- For the UK, business expenditure on R&D increased by 5.8%.
- The level of BERD in Wales can be influenced greatly by a small number of individual projects commencing or ending in a period. The BERD series for Wales is therefore quite volatile and so a longer-term perspective is recommended.
The detailed dataset on StatsWales will be updated to include these new data as soon as possible.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 9016
Tel: 0300 025 8099