Estimates of research and development expenditure by businesses in UK countries and English regions for 2018.
- In 2018, business expenditure on R&D (BERD) for Wales was £430 million, up 2.1% on the figure for 2017.
- This represented 1.7% of the UK total.
- The 2.1% increase was the tenth(r) largest increase of all 12 UK countries and English regions.
- For the UK, business expenditure on R&D increased by 5.8%.
- The level of BERD in Wales can be influenced greatly by a small number of individual projects commencing or ending in a period. The BERD series for Wales is therefore quite volatile and so a longer-term perspective is recommended.
(r) The Office for National Statistics revised a number of figures which impacted some of the regional totals. As a result, Wales now has the tenth largest increase (in 2018) and not the ninth largest increase as previously published.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 9016
Tel: 0300 025 8099