How GPs should handle repeat prescriptions during the coronavirus pandemic.
We are seeking support from primary care teams to work together to ensure medicines supply through the appropriate flow of repeat prescriptions between GP practice, community pharmacy and the public.
To reduce the footfall in our GP practices and community pharmacies we would ask for your support in the following ways:
- encourage the public to utilise electronic means of prescription re-ordering where possible i.e. MyHealthOnline and other existing electronic ordering systems including apps
- utilise current external prescription drop off boxes or consider implementing this at your practice if possible
- allow telephone prescription orders if necessary
- ensure community pharmacy delivery drivers/other pharmacy staff are able to access prescriptions for collection
- do not fax repeat prescriptions to community pharmacies, only fax emergency acute prescriptions where there is no other alternative
- do not change current prescription intervals
- switch all appropriate patients to repeat dispensing (batch prescribing)
- if repeat dispensing is not possible, please issue post-dated prescriptions where appropriate
- do not advise symptomatic patients to visit community pharmacies
- please communicate changes to your services/opening hours to community pharmacies in your health board