The report covers all prescriptions dispensed by community pharmacists (including supermarket pharmacies) during 2017.
- The number of prescription items dispensed in the community increased from 80.3 million in 2016 to 80.4 million in 2017 (up by 0.2%), equivalent to 25.8 items per head.
- The net ingredient cost of all prescriptions dispensed in the community in 2017 was £578.1 million, very similar to the cost in 2016.
- Wales dispensed the highest number of prescription items per head of population - 25.8 compared to 22.3 in Northern Ireland, 20.0 in England and 19.2 in Scotland.
- Medicines for the treatment of the cardiovascular system make up the largest group in terms of prescription items (23.4 million), but drugs for the treatment of the central nervous system make up the largest group in terms of cost (£123.6 million).
- Across all British National Formulary (BNF) chapters, Omeprazole was the most commonly prescribed chemical with 2.6 million items dispensed in 2017.
In addition to these annual statistics, monthly data are published by NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership.
Prescriptions dispensed in the community, 2017 , file type: PDF, file size: 964 KB
Explanatory notes for the prescription cost analysis, 2017 , file type: PDF, file size: 206 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Prescription cost analysis: individual preparations, 2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 2 MB
Prescription cost analysis: data totals, 2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 787 KB
Prescription cost analysis: summary data, 2000-2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 500 KB
Prescription cost analysis: individual preparations, 2000-2017 , file type: ODS, file size: 26 MB
Telephone: 0300 025 1646
Telephone: 0300 025 8099