Skip to main content
Fisheries and trade

In this section

Wellbeing resources

The transition period will end on 31st December 2020. This means that things will change for the fishing industry in Wales from January 2021.

Until then the Common Fisheries Policy will continue to apply to the Welsh Fishing industry and exports will continue as normal.

Negotiations are taking place to determine access to fishing opportunities after the end of the transition period. We are taking an active part in those negotiations to secure a good deal for Wales.

In 2019 we wrote to the Welsh fleet, to inform those who intend to put their catch for export, that they must register as a food business.

A vessel inspection is needed by a local authority official before 31 December 2020 for trade to continue. Guidance on exporting can be found at Get an export health certificate on GOV.UK.

For further information and updates follow us on Twitter

Further information

Prepare your fisheries business for changes from 1 January 2021 on GOV.UK
Information for food and drink producers on
Give prior notification to land fish in the EU on GOV.UK
Make a pre-landing declaration to land fish in an EU port on GOV.UK
Catch certificates for non-EU imports and exports of fish on GOV.UK
Import fish from the EU from 1 January 2021 on GOV.UK

Wellbeing support

It’s important that everyone takes care of their personal wellbeing. These organisations support the fisheries sector:

The Community Advice and Listening Line (C.A.L.L) is a dedicated mental health helpline for Wales. They provide confidential listening and emotional support.

Phone 0800 132 737
Text ‘help’ to 81066

The Fishermen’s Mission provides emergency support and practical care to fishermen and their families. It can provide emergency grants for people in need, and access to other grant makers.

Phone 01489 566910

The mission has 2 port officers who can be contacted to access help and support:

Superintendent Christine King 07827 965241

Superintendent Jane Devereux 07825 688730

Dewis Cymru has information and advice on well-being issues. Available to people across Wales, it has contact details for local organisations and services that can help with well-being issues.


The Samaritans can be contacted 24-hours a day for free on 116 123

Next: community cohesion >

Join us on social media

Share this page