Wales introduced a Single Use Carrier Bag (SUCB) charge of 5 pence per SUCB from October 2011 in order to reduce consumption and the associated environmental impacts.
This is the latest release
The project objectives were to assess:
- the impact the charge has had on the consumption of SUCBs and the associated behaviour of consumers in Wales
- the impact the charge has had on businesses in Wales
- the extent to which the voluntary agreement with retailers has succeeded in encouraging the donation of the net proceeds of the charge to good causes
- the extent to which the charge has reduced littering of SUCBs.
The review consisted of an economic evaluation, a literature review and the following pieces of primary research:
- a telephone survey with consumers
- a telephone survey, semi-structured discussions and a focus group with retailers
- semi-structured discussions with suppliers of SUCBs.
Tel: 0300 025 1481
Tel: 0300 025 8099