Data on severity of injury and type of road user for 2018.
- In 2018 police forces in Wales recorded 4,222 road accidents involving personal injury, 326 fewer (7.2% lower) than in 2017.
- These recorded accidents resulted in 5,768 casualties, 426 fewer than in 2017.
- There has been a long term fall in personal injury road accidents recorded by police forces in Wales.
- In recent years the number of accidents resulting in serious injury or fatalities has been relatively stable, with the overall decline in accidents accounted for by a continued fall in ‘slight’ injury accidents.
Within the 5,768 casualties:
- 108 people were killed, 7 more (6.9% higher) than in 2017
- 1,029 people were seriously injured, 70 higher (7.3% more) than in 2017.
- 4,631 people were slightly injured, 503 fewer (9.8% fewer) than 2017.
Statistics for 2018 were first published on 27 June 2019. Revised statistics, showing a higher number of fatalities than had initially been published, were issued on 25 September 2019.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9528
Telephone: 0300 025 8099