Information on the learning activities and labour market status of young people aged 16 to 24 for 2017 and 2018 (provisional).
This is the latest release in the series: Participation of young people in education and the labour market
Provisional figures for 2018
16 to 18 year olds
- Participation of 16 to 18 year olds in education or training decreased to 78.3% in 2018 compared to 79.8% in 2017.
- The proportion in employment has increased year on year since 2011, following a downward trend from 2004.
- The proportion who are not in education, employment or training (NEET) has fluctuated around 10-13%. It increased to 10.3% in 2018 from 9.4% in 2017.
19 to 24 year olds
- The proportion of 19 to 24 year olds in education or training has fluctuated around 37% and 39% since 2004.
- The proportion in employment decreased between 2004 and 2012, but has increased in subsequent years.
- The proportion who were not in education, employment or training (NEET) in 2018 was 16.1%, unchanged from the previous year. Prior to 2018, this figure fell in each of the last 5 years.
Participation of young people in education and the labour market, 2017 and 2018 (provisional)
file type: PDF, file size: 993 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 061 6029
Tel: 0300 025 8099