Skip to main content

What you need to know about joining the NMC COVID-19 temporary register.

First published:
7 May 2020
Last updated:

I am an overseas trained nurse or midwife, am I eligible to join the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) COVID-19 temporary register?

Find out whether you are eligible and access relevant guidance (Nursing and Midwifery Council).

It is your choice to join the COVID-19 temporary register. You can opt out at any time if you wish to.

Advice and support is available.

You will have access to a selection of eLearning training and other supportive tools. These are available on the Health Education and Improvement Wales website.

You will also find access to a range of professional bodies and unions on the website. The resources are wide-ranging covering infection control through to compassionate caring. There is also a medication module that all staff can access.

I am an overseas trained nurse or midwife; what might joining the NMC COVID-19 temporary register mean for me?

As a skilled nurse or midwife your support and expertise are very much welcomed. If you eligible to join the COVID-19 temporary register, you will need to meet specific conditions:  

  • you must work as a registered nurse or midwife in an employed capacity for a health or social care employer
  • you have to work under the supervision of a NMC registered nurse, midwife or other registered healthcare professional not on a temporary register

You will need to follow the NMC Code and work within your scope of practice.

We recommend that you discuss with your employer to identify your individual learning and training needs. All staff deployed to a new clinical area should receive a focused induction. Particular emphasis should be on:

  • delivering  safe patient care
  • life support
  • personal protective equipment (PPE) training

Once registered, you will be able to browse and register your interest on GP Wales. This will identify the workforce needs within individual organisations.

I am an overseas trained nurse or midwife employed by a health and social care organisation on the COVID-19 temporary register; what are the next steps for me?

The NMC will write to you to confirm if you are successful in joining the COVID-19 temporary register. They will provide you with your unique emergency identification number. Employers will be able to confirm this by checking the COVID-19 temporary register.

You will need to notify your line manager and human resources department afterwards. This is so they can arrange the necessary arrangements for you to undertake your new duties.

I am an overseas trained nurse or midwife who has joined the NMC COVID-19 temporary register but am not currently employed in health and social care; how can I access a suitable role?

Once you have your emergency identification number, you can email us at

You will be able to ask us any questions before making your decision. These could concern your own health and wellbeing, professional indemnity, pensions or payment.

As someone new to an organisation, you will receive a fast track induction. This will include all mandatory training.

I am a registered nurse with a visa due to expire before 1 October 2020; what advice is there available?

The Home Secretary announced on 31 March 2020:

  • NHS nursing staff with visas due to expire before 1 October 2020 will have them automatically extended for one year. The extension will also apply to their family members
  • the extension to NHS visas will be automatic and have no fees attached to it for NHS employees
  • international student nurses will be allowed to work more hours per week in the NHS

Please note the visa extensions do not currently apply to midwives.

Find more information on Home Office.

I am an overseas trained nurse or midwife awaiting my English Language tests, how can I find out more?

Find latest information and updates international English language testing system.

Find English language test updates on Occupational English Test.

I am an overseas trained nurse or midwife awaiting my NMC Computer Based Test, how can I find out more?

Find the latest information and updates on NMC Computer Based Tests.

As an overseas trained nurse/midwife, where can I go for immigration advice?

Find latest information and guidance on Home Office.

Find latest updates for overseas nurses on Nursing and Midwifery Council.

If you need more support about immigration issues speak to your line manager, the corporate nursing team or the human resources department within your health or care organisation.

Union members may also be able to access legal services, immigration advice and other professional services. See your union’s website for more information.