The report presents NHS expenditure by programme of care allocated based on the medical condition the expenditure relates to for April 2017 to March 2018.
- Total expenditure for all programme budget categories was £6,535 million or £2,091 per head of the population.
- Total expenditure in 2017-18 was 2.4% higher than expenditure in 2016-17 and 29.2% higher from a decade ago.
- The programme budget category with the biggest increase (excluding ‘other’ and ‘infectious diseases’) was ‘mental health problems’, which increased by £34 million (4.8%) from 2016-17.
- The largest single programme budget category (excluding ‘other’) was ‘mental health problems’ with 11.4% of the total.
- Spending per head of the population on clinical programmes, ranged from £11.57 on hearing problems to £238.79 on mental health problems.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Telephone: 0300 025 8099