A report which presents expenditure analysed by programme of care, including that on primary care services, such as GPs, as well as secondary care services, such as hospitals for April 2017 to March 2018.
- Total expenditure for all programme budget categories was £6,535 million or £2,091 per head of the population.
- Total expenditure in 2017-18 was 2.4% higher than expenditure in 2016-17 and 29.2% higher from a decade ago.
- The programme budget category with the biggest increase (excluding ‘other’ and ‘infectious diseases’) was ‘mental health problems’, which increased by £34 million (4.8%) from 2016-17.
- The largest single programme budget category (excluding ‘other’) was ‘mental health problems’ with 11.4% of the total.
- Spending per head of the population on clinical programmes, ranged from £11.57 on hearing problems to £238.79 on mental health problems.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 6735
Tel: 0300 025 8099