Information on proceedings at Magistrates' courts, drug and drink driving offences and breath tests for 2017.
Fixed penalty notices (FPNs)
- In 2017, police and traffic wardens issued 76,600 FPNs in Wales, an increase of 0.4% compared with 2016.
- Speed limit offences accounted for 77.7% (59,500) of these.
- 46,900 motoring offenders were dealt with by the magistrates’ courts in Wales in 2017. This is a fall of 27.6% since 2016; however this does not necessarily reflect a genuine fall in the number of prosecutable offences committed in Wales.
- The most common groups of offences were 'speed limit offences' (14,500) and 'vehicle insurance offences' (10,500). 'Vehicle test offences' (15) was the least common offence group.
Screening breath tests
- In 2017, 37,000 screening breath tests were carried out in Wales. 4,500 of these tests (11%) had a positive result, a fall of 2.2% compared with 2016.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 6415
Tel: 0300 025 8099