Information about students training to become teachers on courses of initial teacher education (ITE) that lead to qualified teacher status for September 2017 to August 2018.
- The number of new secondary school trainee teachers missed the target by over a third (40%) in 2017/18. The number of new primary school trainees stayed slightly below the target for a third year.
- There were 1,200 entrants to ITE courses in 2017/18; 670 on primary school courses and 525 on secondary school courses.
- There has been a small fall in students able to teach in Welsh, which is at its lowest point since 2007/08.
- Science, PE and English are the most common subjects for entrants to secondary school ITE courses in Wales.
- More than 8 out of every 10 new ITE students training in Wales were living in Wales before they started their degree.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 6695
Tel: 0300 025 8099