Information about students training to become teachers on courses of initial teacher education (ITE) that lead to qualified teacher status for September 2017 to August 2018.
- The number of new secondary school trainee teachers missed the target by over a third (40%) in 2017/18. The number of new primary school trainees stayed slightly below the target for a third year.
- There were 1,200 entrants to ITE courses in 2017/18; 670 on primary school courses and 525 on secondary school courses.
- There has been a small fall in students able to teach in Welsh, which is at its lowest point since 2007/08.
- Science, PE and English are the most common subjects for entrants to secondary school ITE courses in Wales.
- More than 8 out of every 10 new ITE students training in Wales were living in Wales before they started their degree.
Future publication of these statistics
We are in the process of updating the way in which these statistics are presented in future and would value any feedback you may have.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 062 2587
Telephone: 0300 025 8099