Information about students training to become teachers on courses of initial teacher education that lead to qualified teacher status for September 2016 to August 2017.
- The number of new secondary school trainee teachers missed the target by over a third in 2016/17. The number of new primary school trainees stayed slightly below the target for a second year.
- The target for primary courses was 750, but only 700 students enrolled. The target for secondary courses was 871, but only 545 students enrolled.
- There has been a small fall in students able to teach in Welsh, which is at its lowest point since 2008/09.
- Science, Maths and English are the most common subjects for entrants to secondary school ITE courses.
- 9 out of every 10 new ITE students training in Wales were living in Wales before they started their degree.
- There were more than double as many females as males starting to train as teachers in Wales in 2016/17.
Initial teacher education, September 2016 to August 2017: infographic , file type: PDF, file size: 481 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6695
Telephone: 0300 025 8099