In this page
You may give us your personal data and information when you:
- pay devolved Welsh tax
- are involved in a transaction where someone pays Welsh tax (for example, buying property subject to Land Transaction Tax)
- contact us about our guidance and services
Devolved taxes are ones where the tax rules are set in Wales, and the tax collected funds our public services. We collect and manage 2 devolved taxes:
- Land Transaction Tax
- Landfill Disposals Tax
We may get personal information from you when we collect taxes. That may come directly from you or from an agent, for example, a solicitor acting on your behalf.
Data we collect
This personal data may include your:
- title and full name
- current and past addresses
- date of birth
- email address
- phone numbers
- identification, such as National Insurance number, passport, driving licence
Information related to tax transactions, including any:
- amounts involved
Also, any businesses involved, including their:
- company or trading name
- company number, if applicable
- VAT registration number, if applicable
Use of your data
We’ll only use your personal information lawfully, and in the following ways to support the Welsh taxes we collect and manage:
- to ensure the correct amount of tax is paid at the right time
- to work with public sector partners who we may share data with, such as HMRC
- for analysis and research to better understand Welsh taxes and improve services
You or your agent will not be identified in analyses or research reports that we publish.
We’ll also ensure information about you or your agent:
- is not shared outside the WRA unless there’s a lawful reason and the processing is fair and necessary
- is not used or kept where you’ve used any of your rights mentioned in this notice.
How long we’ll keep your information
We’ll keep your data for as long as we need to:
- carry out our duty
- check avoidance, fraud, or error (may be for more than 25 years)
- to support analysis and research for as long as it’s useful
Any information we collect about you or your agent will be collected, stored, and transmitted securely. We’ll only share information about you with others where it’s lawful to do so and required for an identified purpose.
Data protection law lists certain rights that you have concerning your data. These rights depend on the legal basis for collecting and using your data. For most uses made of your data, you’ve the right to be informed (which this notice covers).
For full details on information we may hold about you, your rights, lawful use, and contact points, see our tax data privacy notice or contact us.
Data Protection Officer
Welsh Revenue Authority
PO Box 110
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.