Grey squirrel management action plan for Wales , file type: PDF, file size: 1 MB
We published our management action plan in November 2018. It sets out actions for the management of grey squirrel populations to:
- reduce the impact on red squirrel populations
- reduce the impact on trees and woodland ecosystems, and
- reduce the impact on the services they provide, such as timber production
The plan does not aim to eradicate grey squirrels from Wales. It:
- aims to encourage the management of grey squirrel populations. This is where it is feasible to do so, and where the benefits are greatest.
- recognises the need for a collaborative partnership approach to the grey squirrel management
- supports the Red Squirrel Conservation Plan for Wales. This maximises the benefit to red squirrel populations. It also promotes existing best practice developed for grey squirrel management.