Information on the number of registered patients and workforce age distribution, as at 30 September 2018.
A number of data quality issues were identified last year with the main source data. This year we have undertaken further quality assurance but we still advise that the numbers presented in this release are treated with some caution.
- 1,964 GP practitioners (excluding registrars, retainers and locums), an increase of 38 (or 2.0%) since 2017.
- 230 GP registrars, a decrease of nine since 2017.
- 778 GP locums registered to work, an increase of 24 (or 3.2%) since 2017.
- 14 GP retainers, a decrease of three since 2017.
- 2,986 total GPs (all practitioners, registrars and retainers plus locums registered to work), 50 more (or 1.7%) greater than 2017.
General medical practitioners, as at 30 September 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 1 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Registered patients and number of GP practitioners by practice, 2018: tables , file type: ODS, file size: 96 KB
GP practice populations by gender and age group, 2018: tables (revised) , file type: ODS, file size: 225 KB
GP practitioners by age and cluster, 2018: tables , file type: ODS, file size: 60 KB
GP workforce by cluster, 2018: tables , file type: ODS, file size: 54 KB
Registered patients by practice, 2018: tables , file type: ODS, file size: 130 KB
Telephone: 0300 025 1646
Telephone: 0300 025 8099