This report, published in March 2012, provides some additional analysis and highlights some of the issues around the quality of the data, given that it comes from a sample survey (the Annual Population Survey), for which reason we do not include the information within our regular outputs.
- Just under a fifth of young people are NEET.
- Males are more likely to be NEET between 16-18, females are more likely between 19-24.
- Authorities with the highest estimates of young people who are NEET are largely (although not entirely) within South East Wales.
- The reasons for being NEET vary by gender and age, with over half of females aged 19-24 who are NEET, economically inactive due to family or other caring responsibilities.
- Qualification levels are lower amongst those who are NEET.
- The proportion of young people who are NEET is higher amongst those with a disability.
Telephone: 0300 025 3357
Telephone: 0300 025 8099