Breakdown of income and expenditure for the higher education sector for September 2020 to August 2021.
- Total income of the Welsh higher education sector was reported as £1.78bn, a 9% increase on the 2019/20 figure.
- Total expenditure of the sector was £1.71bn, 12% (£185m) higher than in 2019/20.
- Income through tuition fees and education contracts continued to rise. Tuition fee and education contracts account for 54% of income (£970m).
- Funding body grants continued to rise. Income from Funding body grants increased by 51% (from £220m in 2019/20 to £332m in 2020/21).
- Research grants made up 13% of the income of Welsh universities, the same percentage as 2019/20.
- There has been an increase in the amount that Welsh universities have spent on staff, £970m in 2020/21 compared to £831m in 2019/20. This represented 57% of all expenditure.
Datasets and interactive tools
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.