Breakdown of income and expenditure for the higher education sector for September 2019 to August 2020.
This is the latest release in the series: Staff and finance of higher education institutions
- Total income of the Welsh higher education sector was reported as £1.64bn, a similar figure to 2018/19.
- Total expenditure of the sector was £1.52bn, 18% (£329m) less than in 2018/19.
- Income through tuition fees continued to rise. Tuition fee and education contracts now make up 57% of income (£931m).
- Funding Council grants continued to rise. Income from Funding Grants increased by 15% (£27.7m).
- Research grants made up 13% of the income of Welsh universities, an decrease of 3 percentage points compared to 2018/19.
- There has been a large decrease in the amount that Welsh universities have spent on staff, £831m in 2019/20 compared to £1.12bn in 2018/19. This represented just over half (55%) of all costs.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 062 2587
Telephone: 0300 025 8099