Skip to main content

People that are ill or self-isolating may be able to apply for Employment Support Allowance. If you have not claimed benefits before, most new claims will be for ‘new style Employment Support Allowance. You have to be under state pension age and:

  • worked as an employee or been self-employed
  • paid enough national insurance contributions in the last 2 to 3 years (National Insurance Credits also count)

You can also apply for an additional entitlement of Universal Credit at the same time, or instead of ‘new style’ ESA. This can also help with costs such as childcare and housing.

Information on ESA including how to make a claim is on GOV.UK.

Share this page