Information about the association between drink driving and accidents, results of breath tests of drivers involved in accidents and enforcement action relating to drink driving for 2017.
- In 2016, 12% of all drivers of motorised vehicles and 18% of motorcyclist drivers or riders killed in traffic collisions were above the drink drive limit.
- The Department for Transport estimates that 7% of killed or serious injury accidents (KSI) that occurred in Wales in 2016 involved drivers over the blood alcohol limit.
- Police officers’ views about the factors which contributed to accidents occurring suggest that 7% of KSI accidents during 2017 involved drivers that were impaired by alcohol.
- In 2017, there were 70 accidents in which contributory factors included pedestrians being impaired by alcohol.
Breath tests of drivers taken after accidents show:
- 4.6% of drivers (134) involved in accidents were over the legal alcohol limit for driving
- over two thirds of positive tests occurred between 6pm and 4am
- drivers were more likely to test positive on weekends than on weekdays.
Telephone: 0300 025 6415
Telephone: 0300 025 8099