An annual report which presents information about association between drink driving and accidents, results of breath tests of drivers involved in accidents and enforcement action relating to drink driving.
- In 2016, 12 per cent of all drivers of motorised vehicles and 18 per cent of motorcyclist drivers/riders killed in traffic collisions were above the drink drive limit.
- The Department for Transport estimates that 7 per cent of killed or serious injury accidents (KSI) that occurred in Wales in 2016 involved drivers over the blood alcohol limit.
- Police officers’ views about the factors which contributed to accidents occurring suggest that 7 per cent of KSI accidents during 2017 involved drivers that were impaired by alcohol.
- In 2017, there were 70 accidents in which contributory factors included pedestrians being impaired by alcohol.
Breath tests of drivers taken after accidents show:
- 4.6 per cent of drivers (134) involved in accidents were over the legal alcohol limit for driving.
- Over two thirds of positive tests occurred between 6pm and 4am.
- Drivers were more likely to test positive on weekends than on weekdays.
Tel: 0300 025 6415
Tel: 0300 025 8099