Dowlais Top junction will provide access to the A4060, Dowlais Top high street and Pengarnddu industrial estate.
What we're doing
- moving utilities
- building a temporary road
- building a slip road
- building a bridge at Jones street
- building bridges
- creating lapwing habitat
- building a temporary roundabout
The junction will have 2 temporary roundabouts during the construction. This will help us to build 2 new bridges. These will carry the A465 over the completed junction to join the A465 dual carriageway. The 2 temporary roundabouts will be replaced with a new single roundabout.
The road will be built on embankment up to 30ft (9m) above the existing level.
We will create a new lapwing habitat to the east of the junction.
We will move utilities, including overhead high voltage cables to build the new road.
- winter 2021: we will build the temporary junction. We will build 2 temporary roundabouts on the site of the existing junction to allow traffic to merge more easily.
- 2022: start to build the 2 bridges that will carry the A465 over the existing roundabout
- 2022: we will investigate former mineworks and start treatment works