Information on type of fire, casualties, damage and source for April 2019 to March 2020.
The analysis in this bulletin relates to fire incidents between April 2019 and end March 2020. It covers a period largely prior to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and the lockdown measures introduced on 23 March 2020.
- The Welsh Fire and Rescue Services attended a total of 6,054 deliberate fires in 2019-20. This is a decrease of 20% compared with the previous year, and is around a quarter of the number in 2001-02.
- Around a fifth of deliberate fires in 2019-20 were primary fires.
- In 2019-20, 63% of deliberate fires were in south Wales, over a quarter in mid and west Wales, and around tenth were in north Wales.
- In 2019-20, there were 670 primary fires started deliberately in vehicles, an increase of 6% compared with the previous year.
- In 2019-20, there were 4 deliberate fires in schools, equating to 17% of all fires in schools.
Source and hazardous materials
- Over the last 5 years, furniture and furnishings were the materials first ignited in 16% of deliberate primary fires.
- Of the dangerous substances in deliberate primary fires in total in 2015-16 to 2019-20, 79% were flammable liquids.
- In 2019-20, there were 5 fatalities and 69 non-fatal casualties in deliberate fires.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6699
Telephone: 0300 025 8099