How to create and edit the 'consultation' content type on GOV.WALES.
When to use
Before you create or edit content, you need to read and understand:
You should also have a version of the content ready for publication.
- formal consultations with a WG number
- joint consultations held by Welsh Government and another public body
- consultations held by a public body listed as an organisation on GOV.WALES
Do not use:
for any other purpose
How to create
Creating a new consultation
- Log in to GOV.WALES and LLYW.CYMRU.
- Select the Workbench view in GOV.WALES (you must start on the English site).
- Select Create content.
- Select Consultation.
- Complete the Title field.
- Select Open in the State field.
- Complete the Summary field.
- Complete the Launch date with the date that the consultation is due to start in the format dd/mm/yyyy.
- Under AUTHORING INFORMATION, put the same date as the launch date in the First published and LAST UPDATED fields.
- Complete the End date with the date that the consultation is due to close in the format dd/mm/yyyy.
- Select Add new consultation document.
- Select Consultation document for most documents for an open consultation.
- Complete the Media name field. It should start with 'Consultation document:'.
- Check the document filename. Select the document to upload.
- If the document you are uploading is a PDF tick the Generate thumbnail box.
- If the document you are uploading is not a PDF, you must create a thumbnail and upload it. The thumbnail should be 160px (W) x 230px (H). Use the Thumbnail field to upload the thumbnail.
- If the document is only available in English or Welsh, select that language from the Language availability menu.
- When all fields are completed, select Create consultation document.
- If needed, repeat steps 10 to 17 to add more consultation documents.
- To upload a response form select Response form, and then follow steps 12 to 18.
- Select Add Content and paste the page content into the Content field.
- Do not complete the Additional information field.
- Do not complete the Help and support field.
- Complete the Respond - email field with 'Complete and return to insert email address'. Include the actual email address instead of insert email address.
- Link the email address by highlighting it and select the @ button. Select email from the Link type menu, and then fill out the Email address field. You can also fill out the Message subject and Message body fields.
- Complete the Respond - post field with 'Complete and return to:
(use this address format, but change the details)
Environmental Quality & Regulation
- Enter 'Respond online' in the Respond - online field.
- Look at the URL of the page you are on. It will look something like https://gov.wales/node/xxxxx/edit. Copy '/node/xxxxx/edit' and replace 'edit' with 'respond-online' to get ‘/node/xxxx/respond-online’.
- Highlight the text 'Respond online' and select the link button. Paste ‘/node/xxxx/respond-online’ in to the URL field in the pop-up window, select Save.
- In the External online form field insert the URL of your Smartsurvey online response form.
- Use the EXTERNAL CONSULTATION LINK section when a consultation is hosted on a third party's web site.
- Insert the URL of the page where the consultation is hosted in the URL field.
- Insert the name of the site, for example GOV.UK in the the Link text field. The name of the site will automatically be prefixed with 'This consultation is being held on'.
- The Outcome summary field should be blank when creating a consultation.
- Tag to relevant Topics.
- If content is from or about an organisation complete EXTERNAL ORGANISATIONS.
- Add INTERNAL LINKS (NODE) only to content essential for users to complete the consultation.
- Do not usually complete INTERNAL LINKS (TERMS). Either the consultation is relevant to a topic therefore tagged to it or linked to pages meeting specific user needs.
- To link to another website select Add External Link.
- Add a Review Date.
- After the consultation is closed you can add a summary of responses. Select Add new consultation document.
- Select Outcome document, and then follow steps 12 to 18.
- To save and edit again before publishing select Save and Create New Draft.
To save and specify when to publish in the future, set a date and time in SCHEDULING OPTIONS (expand this field which is usually to the right of the main editing fields). Then select Save and Approve to go live.
- To add the Welsh content, select TRANSLATE.
- Select Add from row labelled Welsh.
- Update fields with Welsh language content.
- To save changes without making them public select Save and Create New Draft (this translation). To save and make changes public select Save and publish (this translation). To save and publish on the date set in step 43, after selecting Save and Make Draft (this translation) select Save and Approve to go live (this translation).
- Ensure the Welsh and the English are in the same published state and check both languages, for example layout is correct and links work.
Editing an existing consultation
- Find the existing consultation either by browsing the public site or select Workbench then All recent content. You must do this on GOV.WALES as the English content must be edited first.
- Open the consultation.
- Select EDIT DRAFT or NEW DRAFT.
- Edit the consultation.
- Complete Revision log message (all languages) with brief summary of changes.
- To save changes without making them public select Save and Create New Draft (this translation). To save and make changes public select Save and publish (this translation).
- Make the same changes to the Welsh version of the consultation.
Lists which components are available and how to use them if they are allowed.
You must use the content paragraph for the majority of the page content.
Do not use the accordion paragraph on consultations.
Paragraphs: related links
Do not use the related links paragraph on consultations.
Paragraphs: call out message
Do not use the call out message paragraph on consultations.