How to create and edit the 'announcement: news story' content type on GOV.WALES.
When to use
Before you create or edit content, you need to read and understand:
You should also have a version of the content ready for publication.
- giving information to users that they can act on (like a government grant scheme opening for applications)
- information users expect from us and not the media, for example how changes to public services affect them as public sector employees
- giving information users need and cannot get from other sources
- genuine news content
- self contained content (it should be possible to delete it from the site without affecting anything else)
- information about events
Do not use for:
- putting our views on record (it should be a press release or a cabinet statement)
- duplicating another organisation's news story
- a general purpose content page
- promoting publishing other content (like statistics)
How to create
Creating a new announcement: news story
- Log in to GOV.WALES and LLYW.CYMRU.
- Select the Workbench view in GOV.WALES (you must start on the English site).
- Select Create content.
- Select Announcement.
- Select News story from the Announcement Type field.
- Complete the Title field.
- Complete the Summary field.
- If there is an image, select Choose file from the Image field.
- Do not use the META IMAGES field.
- Select Add Content and paste content into the Content field.
- Tag to relevant Topics.
- If content is from or about an organisation complete EXTERNAL ORGANISATIONS with the name of the organisation.
- Add up to around 5 INTERNAL LINKS (NODE) to content directly related to the users needs being met by the announcement: news story.
- Do not usually complete INTERNAL LINKS (TERMS). Either the announcement: news story is relevant to a topic therefore tagged to it or linked to pages meeting specific user needs.
- To link to another website select Add External Link.
- To save and edit again before publishing select Save and Create New Draft. To save and specify when to publish in the future, set a date and time in SCHEDULING OPTIONS (expand this field which is usually to the right of the main editing fields). Then select Save and Approve to go live.
- To add the Welsh content, select TRANSLATE.
- Select Add from row labelled Welsh.
- Update fields with Welsh language content.
- To save changes without making them public select Save and Create New Draft. (this translation). To save and make changes public select Save and publish (this translation). To save and publish on the date set in step 16, after selecting Save and Make Draft (this translation) select Save and Approve to go live (this translation).
- Ensure the Welsh and the English are in the same published state and check both languages, for example layout is correct and links work.
Editing an existing announcement: news story
- Find the existing announcement: news story either by browsing the public site or select Workbench then All recent content. You must do this on GOV.WALES as the English content must be edited first.
- Open the announcement: news story.
- Select EDIT DRAFT or NEW DRAFT.
- Edit the announcement: news story.
- Complete Revision log message (all languages) with brief summary of changes.
- To save changes without making them public select Save and Create New Draft (this translation). To save and make changes public select Save and publish (this translation).
- Make the same changes to the Welsh version of the announcement: news story.
Lists which components are available and how to use them if they are allowed.
You must use the content paragraph for the majority of the page content.
Do not use the accordion paragraph on announcement: news story.
Paragraphs: related links
Follow the related links definition to add related links.
Paragraphs: call out message
You may only use the following call out messages on announcement: news story:
Paragraphs: contact details
Follow the contact details definition to add contact information, for example a telephone number.
Paragraph: inline document
Use inline document to upload a file which is only relevant in the context of the announcement: cabinet statement.
Do not use this to publish a document:
- already published on GOV.WALES, instead link to the published document
- that should be published as a separate page on GOV.WALES, for example a publication
Internal links (node)
Use to link to around 5 pages directly related to the user needs being met by the guide.
Internal links (terms)
Avoid using internal links (terms). These links are to topics and usually the most relevant topic is already found by the breadcrumb.
Follow the sidebar links definition to link to content directly related to the user needs met by your content.