Skip to main content

What you and businesses can and cannot do during the outbreak and what happens if you break these new laws.


What restrictions are in place?

There are 4 main things:

  • certain businesses are not allowed to open
  • people should not gather indoors with anyone who is not a member of their household (or extended household) unless they have a good reason
  • rules have been made about keeping people apart when they go out (known as social or physical distancing)
  • people must not gather in public places other than with members of one other household or extended household

Can I now travel to England?

Yes, you can travel to England and elsewhere in the UK and beyond. Please be aware that different restrictions apply in other parts of the UK, which you will be required to follow. You should familiarise yourself with those rules before travelling.

Extended households

What is an extended household?

From 6 July, two households will be able to join together to form an extended household. This means all the people living in these two separate households will become part of one extended household for the purposes of the coronavirus restrictions.

They will enjoy the same legal freedoms people living in individual households currently have – such as being able to meet indoors, have physical contact and stay in each other’s homes.

What is the purpose of having an extended household?

The idea is to allow families or close friends who have been separated over these last few months to reconnect with each other and enjoy each other’s close company once again.

These extended household arrangements also support caring arrangements. In particular, they may help working parents with informal childcare over the summer months, as more businesses reopen their doors and return to formalised working arrangements and they may help people with other caring responsibilities.

Is there a limit on the number of people who can be in an extended household?

No. There is no limit on the number of people who can be in an extended household, providing they all live in the two households being joined together.

Only two households are able to join together to form an extended household and only one extended household can be formed.

These limits on the number of households will help to prevent the virus spreading.

How do I choose which other household to pair with?

Choosing which household to go into an extended household with is an important decision, and for many people this may be a difficult one.

There is no right or wrong way to decide. However, in other countries where this approach has been followed, people have found it helpful to:

  • Think about who is in the most need of support, rather than just trying to decide whose company they have most missed.
  • Think about the risks – people who are shielding can form an extended household, but this will increase their risk of being exposed to coronavirus.
  • Think about the consequences – if anyone in the extended household develops symptoms of coronavirus, everyone will be asked to self-isolate at least until the outcome of a test is known. For some people this will have a greater consequence than for others, and needs to be thought about carefully.

What happens if I can’t agree with the people I live with about who we should pair up with?

Everyone living in the two households which form the extended household must belong to the same extended household. So all the adults in both households must agree to the decision to create the extended household.

Can I change who I am in an extended household with?

No. Once you have agreed and formed an extended household with another household, you can’t switch to pair up with someone else instead. This is to reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus. You cannot substitute members of the household either.

Can I go into an extended household with a household in England?

Yes, but the arrangements will need to comply with the rules in both countries. The rules that apply in England are available here.

I live in a house of mixed occupancy – does everyone in the house need to agree to be part of the same extended household?

No, in circumstances like this you each form separate households. However where people have some private space but share facilities, such as bathrooms, living rooms or kitchens, coronavirus could spread throughout the house.

So you should be aware that if you all form extended households you are putting yourselves (and others) at increased risk. Our advice is that you should think very carefully about forming an extended household in these circumstances.

I share parental responsibility for a child with someone I don’t live with – can they be treated as part of both extended households?

Where parental responsibility is shared, existing arrangements can continue and the child can move between both parents, and therefore between both parents’ households.

The change to regulations regarding extended households should not have an impact on this, and the child should be considered to be part of the household or extended household of the parent they are with at any particular time – in other words if either or both parents form an extended household with a household which does not include the other parent, the child could continue to move freely between the parents, and be part of both extended households (i.e. the child does not have to socially distance within the extended household, whichever parent they are with).

Seeing people outside your extended household

Who am I allowed to meet up with outdoors?

Members of two separate extended households (and any carers) are allowed to meet outdoors as long as you maintain social distancing. This does not need to be the same people from the same household every time. Maintaining the physical distancing measures while outdoors means there is a low risk of infection, but low risk does not mean no risk. So although you can do this, please think about whether you should do this.

Can members of one extended household meet members of more than one other extended household outdoors, as long as they are separate meetings?

Yes. But you can only meet members of one extended household at a time and this must be outdoors. Social distancing practices should also be followed.

How many people am I allowed to see at any one time?

As long as only two extended households are meeting, there is no restriction on the number of people who can meet outdoors at any one time. Gathering with members of more than one other extended household at the same time, however, is still not allowed under the coronavirus regulations.

Can friends or family from another extended household come into my home?

Not generally, no, unless they are passing through to reach an outdoor area, or they have another legitimate purpose for being there such as providing care.

Why do the rules say meetings can be outdoors but not indoors?

We are learning more about the virus every day and we know the risk of transmission is lower outdoors than indoors – the virus survives for minutes outdoors but can live for hours on surfaces indoors. However, lower risk outdoors doesn’t mean no risk. It is still vital for us all to be physical distancing.

If I meet a person from another household in their garden can I use their toilet?

You should try not to – the more we go into other people’s homes and touch things, the more the risk of spreading and/or contracting the virus. If you have to use facilities in another household, the toilet and hand basin should be cleaned thoroughly before and after use. Hands should be washed thoroughly after use and hand towels should not be shared.

I am not part of an extended household with someone but I think they still need my care or support – can I visit them?

You are allowed to provide care for or to help someone who needs it, such as an older person, a child or a vulnerable adult, even if they are not part of your extended household. This includes being indoors with them. But you should consider whether there are alternative sources of support available. You can also visit someone on compassionate grounds if necessary.

In considering whether there is a need to visit someone outside your extended household, especially indoors, you should remember we all have a responsibility to recognise the risks the virus presents to ourselves, our families and friends and our wider communities.

People will need to make judgements for themselves about what is reasonable, in line with that overarching principle. Keep in mind that the purpose of the continuing restrictions is to prevent the spreading of the virus, including to those we care about.

What do you mean by compassionate grounds?

You may have compassionate reasons for visiting someone where that person is struggling with the lockdown generally or they may be suffering from a physical or mental illness, have suffered a bereavement or you may be concerned about their general wellbeing or welfare.

Other examples of things that may be permitted, include visits to people living or staying in care homes, in supported living services, or in children’s homes or young offender institutions. In each case, the service provider will need to put in place appropriate social distancing and safety measures before allowing visits, and you should contact them before travelling.

Are picnics and barbecues with another extended household allowed?

Yes, if you remain outside. You should maintain physical distancing and should not share or use the same items as the other extended household, for example plates, cups and food packages. Any item that is passed between two extended households will increase the risk of the spread of the virus.

Is physical distancing still needed?

Yes, physical distancing when meeting anyone not from your household (or your extended household if you have formed one) is essential to stop the spread of the virus.

Can I travel to parks, beaches, visitor attractions and beauty spots to meet another household?

Yes but you should take care to always maintain physical distancing and hand hygiene. You should also try not to use toilets and other shared facilities (where they are available).

Some attractions and beauty spots remain closed, as do some car parks, so you should check before travelling.

Should I use a face covering when I meet another household?

Please see our advice on face coverings

I share parental responsibility for my child, can they visit the other person with parental responsibility?

Yes. You can continue whatever existing arrangements you have if you share parental responsibility for your child with another person. If however you have coronavirus symptoms or are self-isolating for any other reason, or are shielding, you should stay at home and children shouldn’t visit.

Visiting places

Can I now go on holiday in Wales?

No, not yet, but we hope you will be able to from 11 July. Preparations are underway to safely re-open self-contained accommodation and outdoor attractions. A decision will be taken about this at the next review of the regulations on 9 July.  You will not be able to take a holiday in Wales until any change to the law is made. If a change to the law is made it is likely to take effect on 11 July.

Can I book holiday accommodation?

You are able to make a forward booking for a stay which will take place after 11 July. However, this will only be fulfilled if the law is changed following the next review of the regulations on 9 July. The Welsh Government will continue to monitor the public health position and there is a risk any booking made may be cancelled. Please speak to your accommodation provider for information about their cancellation policy.

What kind of accommodation is being considered for reopening? 

Accommodation without shared facilities – this includes any accommodation that is entirely self-contained, such as holiday cottages, holiday caravans, including some touring caravans and motorhomes and some glamping accommodation with its own kitchens and bathrooms that no other guests use.

Hotels and other serviced accommodation, for example, B&Bs and hostels, which have en-suite rooms and can provide room service meals, also come into this category.

A decision will be taken about this at the next review of the regulations on 9 July. You will not be able to use accommodation without shared facilities in Wales until any change to the law is made. If a change to the law is made it is likely to take effect on 11 July.

Will touring caravan parks be allowed to open on 11 July?

A decision will be taken about this at the next review of the regulations on 9 July.  You will not be able to use accommodation without shared facilities in Wales until any change to the law is made. If a change to the law is made it is likely to take effect on 11 July.

If the decision is taken to reopen caravan parks, it is likely that people will only be able to stay in touring caravans, motorhomes and campervans which have their own on-board shower, WC and kitchen facilities.

Most shared facilities, aside from water and disposal points, are expected to remain closed. This includes toilets, shower blocks, laundry facilities, nightclubs, swimming pools and children’s play areas. It will also include restaurants, bars and cafes, other than for serving takeaway food and drink for consumption off the premises.

Can I maintain/prepare my caravan/chalet to rent to other people?

Yes – you (or someone acting on your behalf – a cleaner, for example) can visit a holiday park to inspect, maintain or prepare your caravan and/or chalet for rental. However, no one can occupy the caravan/chalet until the restrictions on sites are lifted, which is expected to be on 11 July, subject to the outcome of the next review of the regulations on 9 July.

Some people have been able to remain on these sites as they would otherwise be made homeless, or in response to a request from the Welsh Ministers or a local authority.   

Before visiting you should secure the agreement of the site owner. Everybody on the site should of course continue to observe the physical distancing requirements currently in force in Wales and practise good hand hygiene.

Can I go camping?

In general, not yet. This is because the use of shared facilities such as bathrooms risks spreading the virus. Camping in your own garden is allowed, but we advise against camping anywhere else, including another person’s private garden (unless they are part of your extended household).

Campsites remain closed to visitors at this time.

Will campsites open on 11 July?


Can I drive to stay at my second home?

Yes. Thank you for being responsible and not travelling until now. The requirement to stay local has been lifted so you can now drive to a second home. You are able to stay in your second home with your immediate and extended household.

You cannot let your property as a holiday business until the appropriate restrictions have been lifted, which we expect to be from 11 July, subject to the outcome of the next review of the regulations on 9 July.

When will pubs, cafes and restaurants reopen?

Pubs, cafes and restaurants can provide takeaway services.

We are discussing options for opening the hospitality sector outdoors from 13 July, including pubs, cafes and restaurants. This is subject to appropriate protective measures being in place, and a continued reduction in the spread of coronavirus. The options for re-opening outdoors will be confirmed at the next review of the regulations on 9 July.

Can I go on holiday abroad?

Yes, but you should be aware that in returning to the UK you may be required to self-isolate for 14 days, if you have visited certain countries where this quarantine requirement is in force. Please read this guidance about who must self-isolate and how to self-isolate when you travel to Wales.

When are you looking to reopen tourist attractions, zoos, wetland areas and botanical gardens?

From 6 July, outdoor visitor attractions can now be open subject to physical distancing requirements.

When are you expecting to open cinemas, theatres, nightclubs, casinos, museums, galleries, concert halls, funfairs, amusement arcades?

We keep all of the restrictions under regular review. We have adopted a step-by-step approach to easing the restrictions and will learn from each step we take to make further changes.

We have focused on opening outdoors attractions as the risk of transmission is lower outdoors. We are continuing to work with the visitor and tourism sector to discuss options for safely re-opening.

Travelling and public transport

Can I drive to the coast or to the countryside?

Yes, although some attractions and beauty spots may remain closed, and in some areas there may be limits on car parking or road closures in order to manage visitor numbers. We advise researching the local position before travelling. It also remains sensible to avoid areas you would expect to be crowded or busy times.

Can I use public transport?

Yes. There are, however, fewer train services and many buses have reduced capacity to ensure people can maintain social distancing practices. We recommend wearing a face covering on public transport. Please follow the guidance on using public transport.

Will pupils and drivers have to wear face coverings on school transport?

Please see our advice on face coverings.

Can I car share or give someone a lift?

It is best to avoid sharing a car with another person you do not live with if possible. If you do share a car, please stay as far apart as possible within the car and keep windows open. You can follow this guidance on travelling safely.

Shopping and food

What shops are open?

All retail shops can open, if they can comply with the physical distancing duty in Welsh law. People should avoid unnecessary travel and avoid crowded spaces, particularly indoors.

Can I now travel as far as I want to go to the shops?

Yes, but people are still advised to avoid unnecessary travel and avoid crowded spaces, particularly indoors.

Can I go shopping with my friends?

Meeting with people from outside your household or extended household is only allowed outdoors while maintaining physical distancing, as the risk of transmission of the virus is much greater indoors.

You can shop outdoors, for example in outdoor markets, with people from your household or extended household (if you have formed one), and/or one other household or extended household.

Indoor shopping should only be done alone or with people in your household or extended household (if you have formed one). 

What if I’m shielding, can I go to the shops?

We do not advise going to shops if you are shielding.

When will hairdressers reopen?

A decision will be taken at the next review of the regulations on 9 July, but we are aiming to allow hairdressers to open on 13 July provided conditions are right. Ahead of this, we have asked hairdressers to begin to take steps to prepare to re-open by appointment, in the event the conditions will be right to make further changes to the regulations.

Will mobile hairdressers be able to resume work when hairdressers reopen?

Possibly. This is something we are looking at as part of the decision making process about hairdressers generally.

When will other by-appointment services, like tattooing, acupuncture and tanning reopen?

We keep all of the restrictions under regular review. However, removing all restrictions at the same time would be contrary to scientific advice.

We are working with the sector to develop options for the safe re-opening of services.

Sport and outdoor activity

Which sport, leisure and recreation facilities are now open?

All outdoor sport and leisure facilities, with the exception of playgrounds and outdoor gyms, are allowed to open. The operators of these grounds and facilities must take all necessary measures to manage risk and maintain physical distancing. You can only participate with members of your own household (or extended household if you have formed one) and members of one other household or extended household.

Team sports are not currently allowed.

The type of facilities that can now re-open, subject to all other measures being met, include:

  • outdoor tennis courts
  • outdoor bowling greens
  • outdoor basketball courts
  • outdoor golf driving ranges
  • outdoor cycling velodromes
  • outdoor athletics tracks
  • outdoor cricket nets

Which outdoor sport, leisure and recreation facilities must remain closed?

The coronavirus restrictions regulations set out the list of all businesses which must be closed – these include playgrounds and outdoor gyms. Restrictions on gatherings mean that in practice enclosed, managed sports pitches (such as five-a-side football pitches) cannot open.

Why are some indoor and outdoor facilities still not allowed to open?

We are learning more about the virus every day and we know the risk of transmission is lower outdoors than indoors. However, a lower risk doesn’t mean no risk. Even in these circumstances, it is vital we all maintain physical distancing so we can continue to tackle the spread of this virus. 

Some facilities carry a greater risk of transmission where surfaces or equipment are shared between people, such as playgrounds and gyms. Enclosed, managed, sports pitches should remain closed until team sports can resume.

Are basketball courts allowed to reopen?

Yes, but the restrictions on the number of people allowed to exercise together remain in place so team games are generally not permissible at this time. You can play on a court, alone or with a member of your household or extended household (if you have formed one) or one other household or extended household.

Are skate parks allowed to open?

Yes. All outdoor sport and leisure facilities, excluding playgrounds and outdoor gyms and enclosed sports pitches, are allowed to open if the facility operators are ready to open them. They should take all reasonable measures to manage risk and maintain social distancing.

Team sports and gatherings of people from more than two households (or extended households) undertaking leisure or recreation activities together are not allowed.

Who can I play sport or exercise with?

You must play sport or exercise alone, with members of your household or your extended household if you have formed one, and/or with members of one other household or extended household.

Can outdoor sports classes take place?

Yes, but only if no more than two households or extended households are taking part at any one time and social distancing is maintained at all times.

What about cycling?

Cycling is allowed but you must cycle alone ,with members of your household or your extended household, and/or members of one other household or extended household. Cycling in groups larger than that is not allowed, regardless of whether physical distancing practices are followed.

People are expected to only cycle on routes they know well and are well within their ability level. Cyclists on shared paths should be considerate of walkers, runners and other people cycling: they should keep to the physical distancing measure, slow their pace and stop to let people pass as appropriate.

Cycling to work, or for work, is allowed, if you can’t work from home.

Does my entire bike ride have to be in the local area?

No, there are no longer any limits on where bike rides start and finish.

Why is my local park closed?

The regulations do not require parks to close. Local authorities will make decisions about whether local parks are open. We encourage people to go out to exercise but in doing that people should avoid places that can be busy (be they particular parts of parks, footpaths or other places).  We would also advise people to avoid using gym equipment in parks because the risk of transmission of the virus is greater when surfaces or equipment is shared.

Who will ensure the facilities are used safely and responsibly?

The operators of a particular facility or sports ground will be responsible for making sure it is used safely and responsibly. This includes preventing public gatherings and enforcing physical distancing measures. Many of the facilities will be governed by strict protocols developed by the relevant national governing body – for example, the governing bodies for tennis, cricket and bowls have guidance in place to ensure their sports can resume while maintaining the physical distancing and frequent hand hygiene measures.

What are the rules about going out on my boat?

You are now able to travel outside your local area on your boat, and there are no longer limits on where you can dock. It is also permitted for you and members of your household or extended household to stay overnight on your boat. Activities should only be undertaken with crews of people from the same household or extended household.

We advise boaters to be mindful of the potential impact that you could have on other water users and to not place unnecessary pressure on the RNLI, coastguard and emergency services.    

Moving home

Can I move home?

Yes. We recommend that if the property you are moving to has not been empty for at least three days that it is thoroughly cleaned before you enter it. More information is available at moving home during the coronavirus pandemic.

Can I view a property?

You can view a property if it is unoccupied and has been empty for at least three days, or it has been thoroughly cleaned. It is important viewings do not involve different households being inside a property at the same time because this increases the risk of coronavirus being transmitted. You must follow social distancing and hand hygiene guidance at all times.

Virtual viewings of a home can continue to take place by letting agents, estate agents and landlords.

Can a mortgage survey now be done at my property?

Yes. Estate agents, surveyors or removal workers are allowed into a property. They need to follow the social and physical distancing in the workplace guidance.

Places of worship, marriages and civil partnerships, cemeteries and funerals

Can I go to my place of worship?

Places of worship are allowed to open for private prayer observing social distancing guidance. This includes prayer with members of the same household or extended household.

Can I now arrange a wedding or civil partnership?

Yes, places of worship and registry offices are open to conduct the solemnisation of a marriage or the formation of a civil partnership as long as social distancing guidance is observed.

This does not, however, include celebrating the occasion with a reception or other forms of social gatherings with family and friends.

What other services or ceremonies can take place?

Places of worship are also allowed to be open for holding funerals, subject to social distancing guidance.

Will my place of worship be open?

Each place of worship will decide whether to open for these limited purposes. Some may decide not to open while others may decide to open at a slower pace or decide to continue using online technology to practice their faith. You should contact your place of worship to check if it is open before attending.

I am a religious leader, can I go to my place of worship?

Yes, but you will not be able to hold services with other people present, other than funerals, marriages or civil partnerships.

You can, however, broadcast (without a congregation) an act of worship, whether over the internet or as part of a radio or television broadcast.

A close family member has died and I need to organise the funeral – what do I do?

Funerals can be a distressing experience, and the impact of coronavirus is making it even more difficult to make practical arrangements. Guidance on funerals has been issued to local authorities.

Can I go to a funeral?

Yes, but you must be invited. Numbers are constrained by the need to put social distancing measures in place.

Can I go to a cemetery to visit a family member’s grave?

Yes. But you should ensure that you follow physical distancing practices when doing so.

Enforcement and fines

Who enforces the restrictions?

The restrictions are being enforced by local authority environmental health officers and the police.

What can enforcement officers do?

They can issue fixed penalty notices or recommend prosecution in a magistrates’ court. In addition, they have wide-ranging powers to take practical steps to disperse gatherings, require people to go home and enter property.

What will the police do?

The police in Wales will engage with people, explain what they need to do and encourage them to comply. But our police forces have been given powers and they will use them – the restrictions will be enforced if people don’t respond.

What are the financial penalties?

The coronavirus regulations include provisions for a fixed penalty notice to be issued for breaches of the regulations, carrying a fine of £60; this is increased to £120 for a second offence and continues to double for repeated offences, up to a maximum of £1,920. If prosecuted, however, a court can impose any fine (it is not limited).

We hope people understand the severity of the situation we are facing and will comply with the regulations, without having to be issued penalties.

Will the level of fines be increased in Wales?

We have increased the fines for repeat offences and continue to keep fines under review. If the police believe stronger fines are needed, this will be considered.

Share this page