Skip to main content


This guidance is aimed at tenants (including students) who have already vacated their private rented accommodation because of the Covid-19 crisis and who wish to return to that accommodation for the sole purpose of collecting their possessions. 

For students who reside in University-run accommodation, please contact your University to discuss how to retrieve your possessions.

This guidance applies to Wales only. Should you have to travel from elsewhere into Wales, or from Wales to elsewhere, you will also need to refer to the relevant travel and accommodation guidance in that country. 

Government Guidance

Welsh Government guidance on staying at home and away from others should be read when considering collection of possessions.

Talk to your landlord and review your tenancy agreement

If you know that you are going to be unable to return to your accommodation to collect your possessions before your tenancy ends, you should first talk to your landlord or letting agent to discuss the process of reclaiming your possessions in a safe manner whilst adhering to legislation and Government guidance. 

Your tenancy agreement may outline the end of tenancy protocol that applies to your accommodation, the expectations on you and your landlord in relation to removing possessions from the property and what will happen to any possessions left at the property once the tenancy ends.

You should discuss your individual case with your landlord or letting agent. If your tenancy has come to an end, or will be coming to an end shortly, you should, where possible, seek to make an arrangement with your landlord to store your possessions. You should ensure that you keep a record of any communication with your landlord or letting agent, and ask for written confirmation of any agreements made.

If you are unable to come to an agreement to safely store your possessions, and your landlord requires you to collect your possessions from the property, then you may do so but you must consider the guidance on staying at home and away from others.

If you need to pick up possessions, and you share the accommodation with others, you may want to agree between yourselves and the landlord a different time for each of you to collect possessions, to minimise contact with each other, and to ensure that you adhere to legislation and Government guidance.

Possessions no longer required

If you have left possessions at a property, and no longer require them, be aware that a landlord may charge you for their removal. You should check the terms of your tenancy agreement. 

If you have left possessions that you no longer require, but they could be of use to somebody else, you may want to offer them for use by people in need. You could speak to the relevant local authority for more information. 

Further support and advice

If, after reviewing your tenancy agreement and speaking with your landlord or letting agent, you remain concerned about what will happen to your possessions, we suggest that you seek further advice. Some examples of the support available are as follows:

Citizen’s Advice Wales

Advicelink Cymru

Telephone: 03444 772 020 

(phone lines operate between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and it is usually busiest at the beginning and the end of the day. They are not open on public holidays).

Text relay: 03444 111 445 

Shelter Cymru 

For housing help,advice and expert debt advice, telephone 08000 495 495 (phone lines operate between 9.30am – 4.00pm, Monday to Friday)

You may also want to seek your own legal advice on what other options may be available to you, should this be required. 

If you are a student and having difficulty coming to an agreement with your landlord or letting agent, you may also find it beneficial to get in touch with your University, or the National Union for Students for further support.

Share this page