Data which summarises information on the number of births and deaths and the stock of VAT/PAYE registered enterprises for 2019.
The report does not cover the period of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- The total number of enterprises active in Wales during 2019 was 103,770. This was an increase of 1,425 enterprises (1.4%) on 2018.
- There were 12,265 enterprise births in Wales during 2019, which is a rate(a) of 11.8%. This was the fourth lowest rate out of the twelve UK countries and regions. The UK birth rate was 13.0%.
- There were 10,825 enterprise deaths in Wales during 2019, which is a rate(a) of 10.4%. This was the fourth lowest rate amongst the twelve UK countries and regions. The UK death rate was 11.2%.
- The 5 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2014 and still active in 2019 for Wales was 42.0%, slightly below the UK survival rate of 42.5%. The highest 5 year survival rate was in the South West (45.9%), whilst the lowest was in London (39.2%).
- The 1 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2018 and still active in 2019 for Wales was 89.3%, slightly above the UK survival rate of 89.1%. The highest survival rate was in the North East (91.2%), and the lowest was in London (87.0%).
(a) Rates calculated as percentage of stock.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9019
Telephone: 0300 025 8099