Data which summarises information on the number of VAT/PAYE registered enterprise births and deaths and the stock of VAT/PAYE registered enterprises.
- The total number of enterprises active in Wales during 2017 was 102,890.
- There were 14,120 enterprise births in Wales during 2017, which is a rate(1) of 13.7 per cent. This was the third highest rate out of the twelve UK countries and regions. The UK birth rate was 13.1 per cent.
- There were 10,725 enterprise deaths in Wales during 2017, which is a rate(1) of 10.4 per cent. This was the second lowest rate amongst the twelve UK countries and regions (with London the highest at 14.2 per cent). The UK death rate was 12.2 per cent.
- The 5 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2012 and still active in 2017 for Wales was 44.0 per cent, slightly above the UK survival rate of 43.2 per cent. The highest 5 year survival rate was in the South West (45.8 per cent), whilst the lowest was in London (39.3 per cent).
- The 1 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2016 and still active in 2017 for Wales was 91.8 per cent, slightly above the UK survival rate of 91.5 per cent. The lowest survival rate was in Northern Ireland (88.5 per cent), whilst the highest was in the East of England (93.6 per cent).
(1) Rates calculated as percentage of stock.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 9016
Tel: 0300 025 8099