Data which summarises information on the number of births and deaths, and the stock of VAT/PAYE registered enterprises for 2017.
- The total number of enterprises active in Wales during 2017 was 102,890.
- There were 14,120 enterprise births in Wales during 2017, which is a rate(1) of 13.7%. This was the third highest rate out of the twelve UK countries and regions. The UK birth rate was 13.1%.
- There were 10,725 enterprise deaths in Wales during 2017, which is a rate(1) of 10.4%. This was the second lowest rate amongst the twelve UK countries and regions (with London the highest at 14.2%). The UK death rate was 12.2%.
- The 5 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2012 and still active in 2017 for Wales was 44.0%, slightly above the UK survival rate of 43.2%. The highest 5 year survival rate was in the South West (45.8%), whilst the lowest was in London (39.3%).
- The 1 year survival rate for enterprises born in 2016 and still active in 2017 for Wales was 91.8%, slightly above the UK survival rate of 91.5%. The lowest survival rate was in Northern Ireland (88.5%), whilst the highest was in the East of England (93.6%).
(1) Rates calculated as percentage of stock.
Datasets and interactive tools
Tel: 0300 025 9016
Tel: 0300 025 8099