There are a range of ways to get faster broadband. Follow the steps below to find out what options are available to you.
Step One: What broadband service can I already get?
Firstly check if you already have access to a fibre broadband service. Our Superfast Cymru programme with Openreach rolled out superfast broadband access to most homes and businesses in Wales. You may already be able to get faster broadband.
There are other suppliers that have broadband networks in Wales. Check directly with broadband providers or through price comparison websites.
If you do have access, you will need to upgrade or place an order with a provider. This won’t happen automatically.
Step Two: Check future roll-out plans
We want to extend the reach of fast broadband even further. To do this we need a range of solutions. One of these solutions is to build more fibre broadband to homes and businesses using public funding. Openreach is delivering this work using a mixture of public and private funding. This includes funding from the EU. This will cover some but not all of the remaining premises without access to fast, reliable broadband. Private companies are also expanding their networks so check directly with broadband providers to see if you may be part of their future plans.
To find out more about Openreach’s plans for this project, search for and select your postcode and address below.
Step Three: What other options are available?
There is a range of support available to help you get the speeds you need.
- If you haven’t already done so, check which services you can already get.
- Check with your local authority to find out if they have plans for broadband roll-out in your area using our Local Broadband Fund.
- If you are part of a rural community, support may be available from the UK Government to connect to gigabit capable broadband. Those with speeds of less than 30Mbps may be eligible for additional funding from the Welsh Government towards these costs.
- If you can’t get a download speed of 10Mpbs the UK Government’s Universal Service Obligation for broadband allows to request an upgraded connection. More information can be found on the BT website or by calling 0800 783 0223.
- Our Access Broadband Cymru scheme provides grants to fund the installation costs of new broadband connections for individual properties. Find out more about the different technologies available to connect to broadband.